Regular dental exams and cleanings are important in making sure that your smile stays healthy. By keeping up with your routine visits to our office, you can help to prevent dental problems like tooth decay and periodontal disease. Your regular checkup exam will include the following steps:
• Assessment of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs) – This is essential for detecting bone loss, decay, cysts, tumors, and other problems. X-rays also help us determine the position of the teeth and their roots.
• Oral cancer screening – Our dentists and team will check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, gums, and tissues for signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation – We check the gums and bone surrounding the teeth to check for any signs of periodontal disease.
• Tooth decay examination – We check all tooth surfaces for signs of decay using special dental instruments.
• Examination of existing restorations – Our team will check all current fillings, crowns, and other restorations to make sure they are in good condition.
If needed, Dr. Eberhard and Dr. Shoukoohi will then recommend further treatment that can help to improve your oral health. We will also provide you with a thorough dental cleaning, which includes:
• Removal of dental calculus (tartar) – Calculus is hardened plaque that has built up on the tooth for some time. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and it can only be removing with special dental instruments used by our hygienists.
• Removal of plaque – Plaque is a sticky, colorless film that forms on the teeth. It is made up of a growing colony of living bacteria, saliva, and food debris. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that irritate the gums, which is the start of periodontal disease.
• Teeth polishing – This helps to remove stains and plaque that are not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
To learn more and to schedule your next teeth cleaning in Cartersville, Georgia, we welcome you to contact us today at Mockingbird Dental Associates.